Saturday, March 20, 2010

Race Day

This has to be a purpose-driven entry as I am visiting family and would like to see them as much as possible.

Today was race day for me, specifically the Run for the Orphans 5k on the University of St. Thomas campus in Minneapolis. It was a pretty cool day, particularly given the balmy weather we've had lately. I don't think it got above freezing for the entire race, and during my warm-up I found myself missing my new, warmer pair of gloves.

I ran about one warm-up mile (judged off of running for twelve and a half minutes rather than actually knowing the distance). The race itself was great. There were maybe a hundred runners or so, and as the race director said, the race was very informal...so informal, in fact, that there seemed to be some confusion as to the turn-around point. My brother-in-law, who ran the race with....er.....far ahead of me, consulted his Garmin and determined that the race was actually a little longer than 3.1. My official time for the entire course was 32:18, but if we assume that the GPS was accurate, my time was closer to 30:51 for the 5k, which puts me at a sub-10:00 mile, which was the goal at the beginning.

And that's about all there is to say about the race. It was cold, it went well, I felt strong throughout, I actually found a kick for the last tenth of a mile, and....well, really, that's all. A photo will be coming soon.

I think I'm going to give myself a break on the last two miles of the day (although I really appreciate the input on the comment on my previous post!) and try to wrap them up in the next few runs I do to get my total mileage back up to par.

No comments:

Post a Comment